POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : new system (divx 19k) : Re: new system (divx 19k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 07:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new system (divx 19k)
From: Kitsune e
Date: 29 Apr 2003 14:25:05
Message: <web.3eaec30d79101c459a89ca810@news.povray.org>
Alastair Murray wrote:
>Just out of curiosity, why is it a bad thing that's it's written in
>Java?  Ok, so it may be slightly slower than natively compiled code in these
>circumstances, but it's only the modeller - you're presumably using POV-Ray
>as your renderer (which is where all the CPU time will be going).  If the
>program does the job it's supposed to does it really matter what language it
>was written in?  (And you presumably already have a JVM installed as you've
>tried this out).

Hehe, knew I would get someone with that little jab.  The reason why I would
rather have it in C then in Java are:

Most Java applets I have used on the internet are buggy.
C has a larger more diverse programming community.
Java bite-code runs slower then compiled code (which is bad when you need to
manipulate over 100,000 polygons, and a complex IK system).
JVM is a big download over dialup (luckily I already had it for mozilla).

luckily in this instance these drawbacks were all outweighed by the power,
speed, versitility, and usefulness of the program in question.  In the end
the language used dosn't really matter.  A bad coder can make slow leaky C
programs, or a good one can make programs like Wings3d and AOI.  It is the
skill the matters more then the tool used.  It is just that some languages
require more skill.