POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Music To Trace By : Re: Old Technology...Music To Trace By Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:59:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...Music To Trace By
From: James Moore
Date: 26 Apr 2003 13:15:16
Message: <web.3eaabcdfc9565bf905d3b00@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the comments, I still have much to learn and I really appreciate
all the feedback I can get.  I haven't added much to the discussions as I'm
a pretty lousy communicator, but I've learned alot from reading them.

I agree it's a pretty boring image.  I had a really hard time trying to
decide on a subject for this round.  I wanted to do something that was
becoming "old" in our lifetimes so that hopefully the viewer would find a
connection with the image, but I think I failed miserably.  I really
enjoyed modelling the cassettes, but as the picture progressed, it seemed
to get colder and more mechanical than thoughtful.

I decided to add the pencil drawing to take the focus off the cassettes, so
that the image would represent the memory of past times more than just one
particular technology.

I had hoped the loose tape and rather pathetic drawing would provoke
thoughts as to why they had become old technology - I guess I should have
explained a little better in the description.  I'm not quite sure why the
shadow of the tape came out like it did - I suspect it's an error somewhere
in the macro used to make the mesh as my math skills are pretty rusty, not
to mention basic.  :)

I chose the pictures in the background because they were my first attempts
at raytracing more than because of the subject of them - sort of a personal
inside joke I guess.