POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Organic motion: when as much as where : Re: Organic motion: when as much as where Server Time
19 Jul 2024 07:36:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Organic motion: when as much as where
From: Kitsune e
Date: 23 Apr 2003 23:25:05
Message: <web.3ea7582cdc91ff0e7a3893e20@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>I've read in some animation books about the importance of easing in and out.
>So I wrote an algorithm where the position is along striaght lines, but
>moves as per 3*x^2-2*x^3 between the points.   I think I'm going to start
>using it in my animations, and thought I'd share it in case it's of value to
>anyone else.

Good animation! I especially like the lighted path.  About the motion: it
does give a nice organic feel, though it might work better with slightly
rounded paths.

I don't know the specifics of your system, but I wonder if you couldn't just
use a spline.  With a spline the float value would corispond to a place in
time, and then you have <x,y,z> deffined for any time you ask for.  Being
able to pass a spline as a parameter to your IK system would be pretty
slick!