POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 10:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
From: gonzo
Date: 15 Apr 2003 17:15:06
Message: <web.3e9c7549de75e32aa0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Slashdolt wrote:

>My "art" skills have atrophed for many years, and I'm once again trying to
>revive them.  After having considered myself a largely technical person for
>the last several years, winning the IRTC has certainly boosted my confidence
>immeasurably.  I used to paint, but computer creations became more
>interesting.  POV-Ray is a beautiful combination of programming and art.  I
>feel like it has set me free in many ways.

Well put!

I haven't studied art, or had any formal training, but it's something that
has always interested me.  But I got frustrated when I was younger because
I could visualize things in my head that I couldn't make work on paper, so
my visual side settled into photography, and my "I'm an artist, dammit, and
I need to create" side switched over to music. (and Musica been Verra Verra
good to me)

Now I'm an old geezer who can't handle being in the road all the time
anymore, so music has become a hobby, I got that real job my mother always
wanted me to get, and started playing around more with the computer.
Someone gave me a copy of Bryce and I discovered 3d. Someone else let me
play with their C compiler and I decided programming was cool.  Then I
found PovRay, it does Bryce-like things in a C-like manner, and looks
great!

And lo & behold, I discovered that all those scenes in my head from my early
years were now possible after all!  So I have to agree: a beautiful
combination of programming and art that sets the artist in me free. (or is
that sets the kid in me free...? or is that the same thing?)

RG - 48 going on 12