POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Charicture animation demo (456k) : Re: Charicture animation demo (456k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:31:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Charicture animation demo (456k)
From: Kitsune e
Date: 14 Apr 2003 22:40:03
Message: <web.3e9b6fa4c35c5c1123d719120@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>My code has two parts:
>
>1) an "object" which is a zillion blob components,  each component of which
>has a  transform{headtrans}, transform{femurtrans}, etc. associated with it.
>
>2) a system where you can input things like splines for the clock/rotations
>of head,  clock/positions of the wrists and feet (IK).

Hello!

Yes, the blobs and inverse kinimatics are impressive!  I am amazed by what
has been accomplished so far with those techniques.  Unfortunatly blobs are
slow and hard to model with when used in any large number.  And the IK that
is being developed right now is only really usefull with blobs.  Otherwise
you end up with odd mechanical looking joints.  Not very good for modelling
organic things.  If someone could build an IK that worked with patches or
meshes then it would be a different story, but this would be very
difficult.

I know that the Povray community will fight me tooth and nail on the subject
of using an outside utility.  I also can understand why: SDL is so powerful
and versatile that you can do just about anything with it!  It is a matter
of pride to be able to sit down and create an entire scene with just code.
Pride both in oneself, and in Povray.  SDL is what makes Povray different
from other renderers.  But I am afraid that at least for the time being
outside programmes are the only option for creating good character
animations in any reasonable amount of time.

In professional CG artest will use the best features from many different
programs to create their worlds.  I (obviously) would advocate a similar
tactic for Pov'ers.  Use the best you have availible, and show what Povray
can really do!

Bukimi, Kitsune_e: "A community collage student with delusions of becoming a
a proffessional artist/animator..."