POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My spatch models suck, and the reason is.... : Re: My spatch models suck, and the reason is.... Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:34:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My spatch models suck, and the reason is....
From: gonzo
Date: 8 Apr 2003 19:25:04
Message: <web.3e93598b679b375da0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

>I think it must be mentioned that while there is considerable overlap in
>their applications, they are separate tools with separate strengths.
>While either Hamapatches splines or Wings' mesh might have be applied
>with equal effect to achieve the smooth regularity of say bathroom
>fixtures, mesh comes into its own when achieving the smooth but
>irregular surface needed for organic effects.

Yes, Hamapatch splines definitely have advantages for certain things, and I
can get basic shapes very quickly. It is when I need more detail, such as
in a face, that it becomes unwieldy.

As you say,Wings is good for irregular shapes, and easier to work with to
get fine detail in something.

I've also found Wings to be a handy tool for editing Poser figures since
Poser has an annoying tendency to do very unnatural things to knees, elbows
& wrists.

RG