POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle Meets Stars : Re: Crackle Meets Stars Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:30:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle Meets Stars
From: Lenx
Date: 8 Apr 2003 08:35:06
Message: <web.3e92c1d7aa392917b0d1d5010@news.povray.org>
Greg Edwards wrote:
>I know you've probably already seen a million or so like this, but I've
>made a procedural starfield using a crackle pattern which I think looks
>pretty convincing, or at least a lot better than my previously used
>modified granite pattern from textures.inc. It was actually really simple
>to make and it's the first time I've found crackle forms useful. It's a
>hell of a lot simpler than a sphere-placing macro and I think the results
>are better. Here's the code:
>
>sphere {
>  0, 1
>  pigment {
>    crackle form <1, 1, 0>
>    scale 1/200
>    colour_map {
>      [0.4 rgb 1]
>      [0.6 rgb 0]
>    }
>  }
>  finish {
>    diffuse 0
>    ambient 1
>  }
>  inverse
>  scale 1000000
>}
>
>--
>light_source#macro G(E)sphere{z+E*y*5e-3.04rotate-z*E*6pigment{rgbt#end{
>20*y-10#local n=162;1}#while(n)#local n=n-.3;G(n)x}}G(-n).7}}#end//GregE

because i am working on my spacebug project, i also needed starts.
I finaly came up with something simmilar, it uses the bozo patern.
However this was only to have a quick testrender background. I think your
method is better.this is the code:

#declare Stars=
texture{
   pigment{
      bozo
      turbulence 1
      color_map{
         [.00 rgb 3]
         [.25 rgb 2]
         [.11 rgbt 1]
         [.99 rgbt 1]
         }
      scale .007                             //.005
      }
   }

sphere{
   0, 10
   hollow
   texture { Stars }
   scale 10000
   }

you can see my spacebug with those stars (both in progress) at
http://users.pandora.be/lenx/spacebug