POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My spatch models suck, and the reason is.... : Re: My spatch models suck, and the reason is.... Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:31:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My spatch models suck, and the reason is....
From: gonzo
Date: 5 Apr 2003 19:20:03
Message: <web.3e8f726a679b375d3e44df690@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>I once again tried Hamapatch and ended up with this monstrosity.  I've read
>several tutorials on making heads but just don't seem to get it: the heads
>end up with seems and creases.
>
>One thing I'm doing is starting with a profile and then doing extrusions
>over to the ear.  Then  I tweak and tweak and tweak and tweak.   Could this
>be the problem: does one inherently lose smoothness with this method?   Do
>the pros just do it in one sweep and live with it??

I have only once gotten a decent head out of spatch, and I lost it when my
harddrive died three days after I finished it :-(   But I remember that I
had a lot of trouble with creases around eyes, ears & mouth, and that in
the end I started with the mouth and worked out from there.  I also
remember that I did the whole thing in two parts; the basic head shape, and
the more detailed face, and welded the two together once I had what I
wanted.

Extruding from a profile seems like you will end up with a lot of extra
points by the time you get to the ear, and welding those points will only
get more creases.

I've just recently started working with Wings3d, but it is showing some
promise for modelling heads. It is much easier to use when it comes to
detailing a small part of the model than spatch or hamapatch.

RG