POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...At Lexxaco's : Re: Old Technology...At Lexxaco's Server Time
14 Jun 2024 21:50:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...At Lexxaco's
From: lexx
Date: 29 Mar 2003 08:25:06
Message: <web.3e859dc377d5d5c1d2303f380@news.povray.org>
thank you - I'm glad that there's some mood in the picture. Because of all
the light in this pic. I tell you where it's from. I thought I could
imitate an photography with a small blend and long lightning. (like maybe
15 sec. So I had to light up the scene. For shure normally there just 3
lights in that scene plus moonlight. But it wasn't enough and the pic was
too dark, so I used some lights around the gas-station. I didn't use any
lights for that fellow in the car, so that's maybe the reason for why he's
looking more 2D than 3D. And the fact that there's glas before him makes
him more 2D than 3D. So you might be right.
For me, lightning is always the hardest part of a scene, but the good thing
about all that 3D is that you can put lights whereever you want them. Drop
Shadows or not or create highlights.
The Sharpen Filter was also a hard decision, cause I read that there's no
postprocessing allowed. But it also said in extern graphic software like
PS. So I just looked for some old pics in older competiotions which used
render post processes. In my eyes that's ok, because it's part of the
rendering, only if I would use some Filters which need more time to process
that wouldn't be too good. But it has to come straight of of the renderer,
not loosing any more seconds for post processing pics.
But that's the tool I'm working with. For example it doesn't have any grain
or noise filters, which in some cases wouldn't be bad - you have to do that
with lightning which costs time.
Of course the sharpen filter isn't too good for the anti-aliasing, so just
don't use it too much, cause AA makes the render time higher.

Thanks Stefan