POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Radio Graves : Re: Old Technology...Radio Graves Server Time
14 Jun 2024 07:38:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...Radio Graves
From: Renderdog
Date: 27 Mar 2003 10:55:18
Message: <web.3e831e41a4e27cb37ba9929f0@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
>Note that i did not suggest to make it brighter - the correct overall
>brightness is mostly a matter of the computer and monitor the image is
>shown on.  The really important thing that makes an image appear as sunny
>or not are the relations between the different parts of the scene.

I read somewhere that normal daylight is <1.0, 0.84, 0.57>*7.6  Of course
evening light would be considerably lower, maybe closer to *3.0

When I use really high values for sunlight, the light washes out surfaces
toward white, losing detail. I guess that's similar to what a camera does,
but I'm not necessarily trying to duplicate a camera view. On the Innocent
Shadow image I had to be careful not to wash out the sidewalk's texture
with too bright a sunlight (though maybe I should've sacrificed that detail
for realism?).

I would be interested in seeing the Radio Graves image adjusted using
HCR-Edit. Perhaps Jeremy would give his permission for this altered version
to be posted? I'm on a Mac so I don't have access to HCR-Edit to see the
difference.

Let's say the "exposure" was set to show the wood on the radios best, so the
grass is washed out a bit. This makes some sense to me, and Bill's
suggestion about the grass being dry and dusty also makes sense (though
there is no dust on the radios, as he mentioned). The scene looks hazy,
except the radios have not been out in the weather (appearing brand new).

I hope this isn't picking too many nits, but this kind of discussion is
really helpful to me!