POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Radio Graves : Old Technology...Radio Graves Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:34:36 EDT (-0400)
  Old Technology...Radio Graves
From: Renderdog
Date: 27 Mar 2003 06:05:05
Message: <web.3e82d9941d77a4af532d6cfc0@news.povray.org>
To kick things off (see Old Technology...discussions), I'll start with the
winning image...

One of the nicest things about this image (that I failed to mention in the
comments file) is the farm in the background. So many of the Old Technology
entries had objects with very little background. Of course we all know the
reason for this: even objects in the background require a lot of work to
look good, and there's a time limit on this competition. But the farm,
fields, hills, and sky in this image make a great environment. Jeremy
obviously spent a lot of time on them.

I notice one of the comments suggested a radio tower instead of a farm in
the background. I'm not sure that would gain much, and might be a
distraction.

Someone also mentioned the grass should be more glossy. I wonder if the
color of the sunlight shining on the grass might be the reason the grass
appears less glossy. Is the sunlight a yellowish light, or pure white?

I was very impressed with the grass, with good weeds. How they were kept
from passing into the radios?

Someone mentioned the prominance of the fence. I wonder what this image
would look like with a little more sky, or a shorter fence? As it is the
fence top fills the sky, and it has a bit of an ominous look (well, it is a
graveyard :-). Speaking of which, this is the second winner in a row
dealing with death...maybe we need a "Funny" round.

Of course the radios themselves are great, and they're so many of them! I
really like the plasticy-wood surface of the radios, very realistic
looking, and it gives the image a classy feel.