POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Objects blocking waves, test and WIP (348kb) : Re: Objects blocking waves, test and WIP (348kb) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 09:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objects blocking waves, test and WIP (348kb)
From: Kitsune e
Date: 24 Mar 2003 12:25:03
Message: <web.3e7f3de0e567b4d7137e7f2d0@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
>Just implemented a macro which will use an object and
>determine whether to "block" a wave or not. Its rather
>simple right now (just look at the jagged edges near the
>cylinder, due to nodes of the array being inside and
>outside the blockers), and there's definitely some work
>ahead of me, but it works fine and seems to head towards
>the correct direction.
>
>For those interested, the algorithm adjusts to blocked
>nodes by leaving them out of the calculation process. Thus,
>even large arrays with high detail may become quiet fast if
>enough of the area is blocked (although one might wonder
>why such a high detail is required if most of it is blocked in
>the first place). Simply put, the nodes inside the cylinder
>and the box aren't touched and this may save a lot of parsing
>time.
>
>Anyways, enjoy,
>Tim
>
>--
>Tim Nikias v2.0
>Homepage: http://www.digitaltwilight.de/no_lights
>Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

Yes, very impressive!  Will you be implimenting something to add waves to
the surface if an object moves?  A wave emitter object as it were, and also
a wave absorber might be useful as well.

About the problem calculating mesh/object intersection, could some type of
super sampling help?  That is to calculate vertex positions around blocking
objects as if there were more than there really are.  By taking the mean of
the points you get a smoother appearance.  See povray documents 6.5.7.5 on
Area light adaptive samples, this is what I mean.  It looks very promissing
so for, good luck!