POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Booster glow : Re: Booster glow Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Booster glow
From: Renderdog
Date: 10 Mar 2003 22:20:04
Message: <web.3e6d551453557273c459a4b40@news.povray.org>
Great looking spaceship, and very original. Very nice renders/lighting as
well. I'll mention a few things that came to me as I looked at it, FWIW,
but since it's intended for animation I'm not sure these comments apply.

The thruster glows are very pretty and hint at an unusual thruster
technology. I relate color to temperature (and cleaness of burn) so the
hottest part seems to be on the edge, the blue flame. Perhaps for an
animation the flames would change as thrusters fired, first a single color,
and then the outside rings/glows increase in visibility or pulsing as time
passes. The thruster flames look ultraviolet and highly radioactive;
nuclear thrusters?

The non-symetrical pattern used to texture the craft looks like one of those
random patterns used to fool the eye, to keep the enemy from locking on the
target.

I've read men identify cars using the same part of their brain used to
identify faces. This craft seems to be missing it's eyes (cockpit or
weapons), but I don't see any clear size cues. I'm guessing it's between a
fighter and bomber sized vehicle.

The thrusters might benefit from having a deeper tunnel from which the flame
exits.

I see what look like some reflections of the flames, but I always look for a
glow washing back across a vehicle's dark side when thrusters fire. Might
be too slow to use a point light source for each thruster in an animation
so you could create a section of the vehicle around each thruster
pattern-mapped as if lit, and swap it in/out for each thruster, but that's
a lot of work for a subtle effect.

The black and white circles on the craft remind me of the Space Vision
System patterns used on the space station as a docking/berthing aid.

I hope all this gibberish helps,
Mark