POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : WIP: fractal animation : Re: WIP: fractal animation Server Time
19 Jul 2024 09:30:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: fractal animation
From: Kitsune e
Date: 24 Feb 2003 15:20:05
Message: <web.3e5a7c87b16b2da3c7e180360@news.povray.org>
Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> Any chance of having the light sources fade out rather than cutting off
>> abruptly?  Even if they only fade out over three or four frames, it
>> could make it quite a bit easier to watch.
>
>Yes, I've been thinking the same sort of thing myself... If I can figure the
>math out, it might be worth doing. (It took me ages to get it like it is
>now - and I still haven't managed to get the spread of particles right yet.
>They are all "lined-up" too much. *sigh*)
>
>Andrew.

for fading a light_source #declare a spline containing the colors to be
stepped through, then in your light source reference the spline with "(how
long particle has existed)/(lifespan)", the spline does all the rest.  Thus
if you do

#declare light = spline{
    linear_spline
    0.0, <1,1,1>
    1.0, <0,0,0>
}

the light will be dimmer the longer the particle exists.