POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Balloon Trip (higher quality) : Re: WIP: Balloon Trip (higher quality) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:30:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: Balloon Trip (higher quality)
From: obj
Date: 18 Feb 2003 16:15:09
Message: <web.3e52a17b259c9165526473a0@news.povray.org>
Greg Edwards wrote:

>The rest was playing with functions to get the width right and clipping
>with ordinary CSG.

hello greg ...

played with it a bit today.
rather than clip using csg here's what i did:
with the threshold set at 0.003, i got a nice taper at the
bottom of the balloon instead of having it pinch off at zero.
the box containing it also serves to cut it off without having
to later do some difference function with it as an object to
lose the surface below zero Y. this uncomplicates things.
that also dropped the max_gradient from 6 or 7 to 1.4 or so
and that helped me speed up the render. ( however, looks like
that is dependant on the final location of the balloon in the
scene and not just the isosurface function.
just when i thought i had figured out how max_gradient worked. ;)
perhaps you will find some of this of use now or in the future.
(no way to post attachments from here right now.)

thanks again for getting me headed in the right direction.

isosurface {
  function {
  x*x+y*y*y-y*y+z*z-abs(sin(atan2(x,z)*12))*-(pow(((y*2.1)-1.1),
  2)-1)*0.02}
     threshold 0.003
     max_gradient 1.5
     contained_by {box { <-0.45,-0.03,-0.45>,<0.45,1,0.45> }}
}

-ob-