POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : last stills round : Re: last stills round Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:40:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: last stills round
From: gonzo
Date: 3 Feb 2003 15:05:04
Message: <web.3e3eca86f9b8f9a6a0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Renderdog wrote:
>simian wrote:
>>I don't know how things go here but I read the comments on a few as
>>compared to the scores and ranking. Looks like only those who like
>>something post comments on it. I did not see positive comments reflecting
>>ranking.
>>
>> This could be a study in demographics if someone has the time. Sort of,
>>If you can't say something good don't say anything, as a voter policy.
>

>For me there were a few different reasons for not commenting on an image:
>
>1) The image was very poor *and* was just "thrown together" or violated the
>rules. If they didn't take the time to do a serious entry then I'm not
>going to waste my time commenting on it.
>
>2) I didn't personally like the image for some reason, but it's through no
>fault of the creator, so I felt any comment I made wouldn't be useful.
>
>3) The image didn't elicit a strong enough reaction from me to comment, even
>though I may have scored it highly.
>
>I try to be positive because I know how much it means to the artist, and I
>tried to balance negative comments with at least one positive.
>
>People are different in how they accept criticism, and since I don't know
>these people I worry that a purely negative (but constructive) criticism
>may not be well received. A text message can sometimes be misinterpreted; I
>can see how a comment is received in person, but there's no way to know if
>I'm communicating properly in a posted comment.
>
>This was my first experience voting so I'm interested in what others think
>about this issue.
>
>-Mark

I'm still developing my theory...

But I know that the comments are very valuable to me, especially the ones
that point to ways to improve specific areas, and even negative comments I
regard as positive feedback if they at least take the time to state why. If
they're just somebody being nasty I ignore them.

With that in mind, I try to make a positive comment, even if I don't like
the image. I feel that if the artist has put some amount of effort into it
then it's worth some positive consideration.  If I feel the artist didn't
even try, or blatantly ignored the rules, I say so, and score them
accordingly.

I also try to make some constructive comment, but some people probably take
this as negative. Also, constructive is often more difficult, especially if
the artist is using techniques or software I know nothing about, because I
don't know what's involved. (And I only know Bryce fairly well, I'm just
learning POV, and have never tried any of the expensive stuff...) It's also
difficult if the artist's skill level is considerably above my own...

In the last two rounds I have managed to comment on every image, but this
takes time, so I imagine that's why a lot of voters only comment on a few.
Time is something which, due to a physical impairment that's curtailed my
normal activities, I've had a lot of the last several months, but
rehabilitation is slowly getting me back to a full schedule so I expect
that luxury to end shortly. Which also means less time to develop my own
images :(

RG