POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : last stills round : Re: last stills round Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: last stills round
From: Renderdog
Date: 3 Feb 2003 13:05:03
Message: <web.3e3eaeb4f9b8f9a67ba9929f0@news.povray.org>
simian wrote:
>I don't know how things go here but I read the comments on a few as
>compared to the scores and ranking. Looks like only those who like
>something post comments on it. I did not see positive comments reflecting
>ranking.
>
> This could be a study in demographics if someone has the time. Sort of,
>If you can't say something good don't say anything, as a voter policy.

For me there were a few different reasons for not commenting on an image:

1) The image was very poor *and* was just "thrown together" or violated the
rules. If they didn't take the time to do a serious entry then I'm not
going to waste my time commenting on it.

2) I didn't personally like the image for some reason, but it's through no
fault of the creator, so I felt any comment I made wouldn't be useful.

3) The image didn't elicit a strong enough reaction from me to comment, even
though I may have scored it highly.

I try to be positive because I know how much it means to the artist, and I
tried to balance negative comments with at least one positive.

People are different in how they accept criticism, and since I don't know
these people I worry that a purely negative (but constructive) criticism
may not be well received. A text message can sometimes be misinterpreted; I
can see how a comment is received in person, but there's no way to know if
I'm communicating properly in a posted comment.

This was my first experience voting so I'm interested in what others think
about this issue.

-Mark