POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray parser in Java : Re: POV-Ray parser in Java Server Time
21 Jul 2024 04:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray parser in Java
From: Thorsten
Date: 8 Jan 2003 17:55:05
Message: <web.3e1cabf6e8c03b1d37401e050@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <3e1c9c02[at]news.povray.org>,
> "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>
>> No, that isn't correct.  You should not make such bold claims without
>> profiling the code first!  And this issue has been discussed often in the
>> past.
>
>Profiling?
>I thought he was talking about the ability to create a grammar for other
>people to use without having to use POV source code, and ease of

No, he implied that POV-Ray is missing a fast parser in the part I quoted.

Regarding a grammar: Grammars in a format assuming a specific parser
generator are hardly very useful. And formal grammars cannot be directly
read by any parser generator. So no need for yet another grammar format,
POV-Ray already uses its own (informal one) in the documentation.

    Thorsten