POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Associating a resolution with a .pov file : Re: Associating a resolution with a .pov file Server Time
18 May 2024 05:58:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Associating a resolution with a .pov file
From: Thorsten
Date: 5 Jan 2003 18:05:04
Message: <web.3e18b9416446e2a655a075910@news.povray.org>
Eric Pepke wrote:
>Thorsten, just what exactly is your problem with me?  As far as I know,
>I've never even met you, so what could I have done to you?  And I said
>up front that I appreciate your having released such a fine ray tracer.
>And I'm trying to add value to it.

I have no problem with you. I am simply unable to see reason in the way you
go about finding out what you want to know.

>CodeWarrior to do searches for me, and I have to convert every source
>file with a Perl script before I can meaningfully run grep on it.

See, this is one of the points that I don't understand.  The source files
are plain text, so searching and navigating in them with any editor is the
most trivial thing on the planet. And you mentioned using "cp" to figure
out that there is a resource fork while all you need is a resource editor.
Why a perl script and a command-line tool to do the most basic stuff?  I
just don't get what you want to do. From what you say you are looking for
compared to what you do find it, to me it seems you are using cannons to
shoot at brids!?!

>If you don't want to point me in the direction of what source files
>to look into to figure out the format of this resource, then that's
>fine, but just *say so*.  And I'll get on with it and not bother asking
>questions here and everyone will be happy.

I just don't know how to help you. You found the functions
Read/WritePreferencesResource in PreferencesUtils.cp.  And you know that
POV-Ray stores a Carbon Collection resource.  But you also said you looked
for a documentation of the Collection resource format in POV-Ray also you
already know it comes from a system function. So why should a system fromat
be documented inside POV-Ray?

You have also seen the Get/SetCollectionItemValue functions in
PreferencesUtils.cp.  So you know how to read the resource, how to write
it, how to get and how to set values.  What do you need from me to help
you? Obviously you have a reason to access the raw resource, but I don't
get why...

   Thorsten