POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tank of water : Re: Tank of water Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tank of water
From: Rohan Bernett
Date: 4 Jan 2003 20:50:04
Message: <web.3e178c967a90f9deb2769afa0@news.povray.org>
>I like the figure pose, and the water looks great!

Thanks! I had to try the pose myself to work out the bends for the joints,
then drew it up on paper and from there, the scene you see.

>Could've needed som AA though..

I hardly ever think of using AA, most likely because it is so slow. I have
no idea how much slower using AA would make the scene, but I really don't
want to have to wait who-knows-how-much-longer just to use AA, which
doesn't give that big an increase in image quality.

>*sigh* I remember my first IRTC image back in 1999:
>RENDER TIME:  22m 9s
>HARDWARE USED: Pentium 133, 32MB ram
>Man did that feel long!

You're right about that. That's what quite a few of my scenes are like, and
I'm always complaining about how slow they are. Still, that's nothing
compared to your second scene (or even some IRTC entries, I saw one that
took 14 days to render!).

>My second (and latest) IRTC entry (2002):
>RENDER TIME: 1d 4h 58m 11s
>HARDWARE USED: Pentium II 450mhz 256ram
>And that isn't even considered a long rendering time! Did I hear weeks?
>months?

This rendering was done on a P3/500Mhz @ 515MHz with 384 meg ram, running
WinXP Pro. If your scene took over a day to render on a p2/450, I wonder
how much faster it would render on my computer, 5% faster? 10% faster?

Rohan _e_ii