POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Newbie's First Post : Re: Newbie's First Post Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:12:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie's First Post
From: Mack Tuesday
Date: 24 Nov 2002 15:40:04
Message: <web.3de1382548db4a7d54f5973f0@news.povray.org>
hughes, b. wrote:
>Actually, I like the floor you have there. It tends to blur out in a way;
>whether from image file compression, the double layer caused by
>transparency, or combination of both things. Makes the frosted donut thing
>stand out. I don't know what to make of that object, it looks either
>metallic or something like a wet fungus. Is it a dual iso which has the
>outer part scaled larger and with noise added?
>--
>Farewell,
>Bob

The floor does look sharper in the original .bmp file.  For some reason
it looks fuzzy even in a .png; I thought PNG compression was supposed to
be lossless.  Anyway, it's just a transparent hex over a plane with
reflection set to 1.

You guessed right: the frosted donut thing is a dual isometric.  I didn't
need to scale the noisy part, though, because the addition of noise made
some parts skinnier and some parts fatter.

Interestingly, the "frosting" looked metallic with radiosity off.  Maybe
it looks more pearly now because it has the default roughness value?  I
think so, but I can't test it now because I overwrote the source file
with something new.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!