POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire frame? : Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr=
From: normdoering
Date: 13 Nov 2002 19:55:09
Message: <web.3dd2f35c195c50e467e58b130@news.povray.org>
>> If you could name a somewhat famous artist or
>> illustrator who used it to do their work.
>
>Sorry, I don't know _any_ famous artist who used _any_ CG.

Let me introduce you to one example "famous" artists who uses CG:

Syd Mead, he served as a special visual consultant on TRON back when CG was
just getting off the ground and has been designing futuristic concepts for
corporations and the movies. He's considered a world renowned "visual
futurist" with movie credits for Tron, Blade Runner, 2010, Star Trek: the
Motion Picture, Time Cop, Johnny Mnemonic, and Aliens. His futuristic
designs have been employed for game design by Sega, aerospace design at
Boeing, automotive design at Ford and Honda, and product design at Sony,
Minolta, and Bandai.

Here are some links:

http://www.sydmead.com/v/01/splash/
http://www.scrubbles.net/sydmead.html
http://www.planetary.org/html/mmp/artis/meads/meads70.htm

Syd Mead also plugs other people's software, in this case, VIDI's Presenter
3D:
http://www.vidi.com/gallery/usergal/syd.html

>Best POV artists can appear on http://www.irtc.org/ or
>http://www.zazzle.com/posters/gallery/search/product_list.asp?q=POV . I would
>like to be as good as some of them.

Some of those images do look good. Some of those artists should think about
turning pro.

>> If you could name POV programmers
>> who went on to work with Pixar or some other noted computer graphics firm.
>
>I don't know any editor who flowed from Word to Britannica. Is it so
>important?

Because you might be someone who can move on to work as a professional
graphics programmer for one of these companies by showing them code you
created for POV:

http://www.mtv411.com/3d-software-reviews.htm

>> POV is a programmer's ray tracer and programmers such as yourself don't even seem
>> respect users.
>
>Each one recpects each other here.

Okay, to a certain extent that's true. However, I've gone to artist's
conventions where the graphics programmers for companies that sell programs
like Maya and Lightwave ask artists how they want to work. They never say
things as dismissive as what Thorsten wrote. They accept the fact that the
artists don't understand the internal workings of the programs and are more
polite when an artist suggests a method that can already be done.

> That's why *users groups were created.
> That's why TAG-Team appeared. That's why betatesting stage was performed.
> That's why perfect documentation appeared in 3.5.

All good stuff and I'm learning to use it.

>> > Can you start scripts from Corel to achive something on Amiga without
>> > additional tools ?
>>
>> Why should I care? I don't have an Amiga and I don't think they make them
>> any more.
>
>Does it mean POV-Ray should have features _only_ for you ?

No. But for my work...
http://www.geocities.com/normdoer
I just want to be able to do the things with my software that I want to do.
I'm trying to make the transition from working with acrylics and pens to
working with 3D programs. That's my ultimate concern.

>> Eventually, I want to. However, time and lack programming resources stand in
>> the way. POV gives me a lot of overhead for things I don't have to write
>> myself.
>
>Like what ?
>
>> If I wrote a separate program I'd have to figure out how to deal
>> with image files of at least one format, write more code to display the
>> work so I could see it, and a shit load of other stuff like that.
>
>And that's why you prefer volounteers should introduce your features for free?

If your goal is to become a professional graphics programmer you might be
interested in the real life desires of artist/users who want to work in a
special way. In my case, using special pencil drawings, scanning them, and
using them to create 3D meshes that are photorealistic mesh2 models of
faces and alien creatures. You could, if you work on that, use the code you
produce to get yourself a job with a 3D company that makes programs like,
say, Maya or Lightwave.

> You missed you can download sources of POV and create own function
> for Parser when you call appropriate functions from POV

I have downloaded the source code... but I don't understand it well yet.

>> Also, I recently bought an AGP Xtasy 6564 2D/3D accelerator card that has
>> got most of my other graphics programs really zooming and looking better.
>> But not POV. In order to interface with this card you have to be using
>> DirectX or openGL. DirectX is Windows only. I don't know about openGL -- is
>> that suppose to be platform independent? If you can't use either of those
>> you can't take advantage of some major graphics technology advances.
>
>As Thorsten said you should learn a little. I suggest you to spend some time
>on reading old posts. I know it can take some time but POV requires patience.

I have to learn a lot, I'm sure.
And thank you for your help in that process. Unlike Thorsten you pointed out
where I could go to learn.

 -- normdoering