POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire frame? : Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 23:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr=
From: normdoering
Date: 9 Nov 2002 13:35:04
Message: <web.3dcd54f1195c50e47efeba520@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>> (maybe they need a special group for macros here?)
>
>No. That's what the *.newusers and *.advanced-users groups are for.

Fine, I think I'll used advanced-users... if that's alright with you.

>> Maybe complining macros so they run faster? I'm sure that's been discussed
>> before.
>
>Yes, it has. The web interface makes a great search interface, look for
>discussions on the POV language. Compiling to byte code to run on a VM,
>like Java or POV functions do now, has been discussed for a while. It
>isn't something that could just be added to 3.5 though.

How about "plugins?" A lot of programs, like Corel Draw, have programs you
can plug in to Corel to do extra fancy stuff to pictures. I think they're
..DLLs...? You write them in basic or C++ or pascal but they would do the
work of a macro (and more since they could read binary code) and do it
faster. That way you could avoid the work of turning POV into a compiler.
In POV you'd call them from the Scene Description File. Wouldn't that be a
necessary stepping stone towards compiling macros?

--normdoering