POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire frame? : Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 16:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr=
From: normdoering
Date: 7 Nov 2002 16:50:05
Message: <web.3dcadf11195c50e490f0db7e0@news.povray.org>
>The code to render height fields is strongly based upon their rectangular
>shape. The way it's coded, it's able to speed up the rendering a lot just by
>making use of this fact. If you distort the height field's shape, you lose
>this property and the height field will render at the same speed as a mesh.
>Therefore, you might as well use a mesh...

Right! But there is no mesh! That's the problem. How do I get that mesh?
There's only 2D pictures with POV turning it into something that looks like
a mesh.

I'm talking about outputting a mesh. Remember what I said about turning
isosurfaces into meshes.

>You should be able to write macros
>that will take a function or pigment and create any shape mesh you want from
>it in a height-field like fashion.
>
>In fact, I believe there are macros for cylindrical and spherical height
>fields in the standard include files somewhere.

Great... but is there a way to output a mesh?

There should be... and POV should read compressed mesh files without having
to go through a macro.

> - Slime

normdoering