POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : a realistic algorithm for making a tree : Re: a realistic algorithm for making a tree Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a realistic algorithm for making a tree
From: Justin Smith
Date: 14 Oct 2002 02:40:04
Message: <web.3daa65f2d5efdad77dde8b6f0@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>Justin Smith <t74### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out how to code the trunk and branching structure of a
>> normal deciduous tree. I took a look at some of the existing trees out
>> there, and it seems that using blobs is the way to go. I think I want to
>> use an isosurface with blob-like combinations, so that I can use a pigment
>> with the function to easily roughen the surface of it.
>  Really, I don't understand why blobs would be the way to go in order to
>create trees. In order to make a tree which looks real, you need hundreds
>of thousands of small details (leaves, branches, etc). If you make a blob
>or isosurface with hundreds of thousands of components, then you'd better
>have months of spare time...

Hm. The reason I decided on blobs is that that is what the other
tree-generators I found use. I figured they'd go with a mesh or an
isosurface, but they went with blobs.

The leaves are not part of the blob, btw... separate triangle-based objects.

>  The classical and best approach is to use a triangle mesh. A mesh can
>have all the details you need (thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions
>of triangles) while still being quite fast and efficient.
>  As a bonus, if you copy the tree several times into the scene, it will
>take only the memory needed for one tree.

Thank you for the suggestion, I may end up doing that if I can't get
something satisfactory out of this.