POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : varnish test : Re: varnish test Server Time
14 Aug 2024 22:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: varnish test
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 9 Oct 2002 08:05:06
Message: <web.3da41a86ea2d989a736664ab0@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

>I'm not sure if i understand this right, you use a slope pattern in
>direction of the main light to texture the side facing the light with some
>normal plant texture and the other side with an ambient finish to simulate
>the light scattered?

the grass pigment has a slope pattern in the direction cam_pos to look_at.
Color is nearly orange with sides facing the camera and dark green with
perpendicular sides. So this is a total fake.
Flower blossoms have double_illuminate and a slope pattern regarding
transparency in the direction cam_pos to lightsource position. So every
blossom looks a little different. This is a better simulation of nature I
think.

>Your scene, although being impressive by the sheer amount of plants, seems
>to lack the contrast in the colors you usually would expect for a view
>against the light.
>A scene showing this quite well is:
>http://marc.jacquier.free.fr/pen_ar_bed_herb.htm

You are right, first it was a test scene for memory load reduction in grass
scenes.

to a scene because of the lacking contrast. This is because the sun is not
near the horizont, the heightfield is fairly flat and to reduce memory load
only a simple texture for the whole grass mesh is used. With
double_illuminate the situation was even worse. Contrast is higher in the
original 2560*1920 render.

addition the contrast within the grass near the lighthouse seems to come
mainly from jpeg artifacts.
In my holidays I studied back light scenes in nature and your link seems not
very near to anything I have seen in sweden.

Norbert