POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : trouble using random numbers : Re: trouble using random numbers Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: trouble using random numbers
From: Justin Smith
Date: 5 Oct 2002 23:35:08
Message: <web.3d9faf3ac254ce755de492f30@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <web.3d9e6370c254ce755de492f30[at]news.povray.org> , "Justin Smith"
><t74### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
>> Ah, I think I understand a little better now. Thanks. It is strange, though,
>> that there isn't a way to seed using the internal clock of the computer, as
>> most programming languages I've used are able to do.
>
>It would be of no help to you if objects would be constantly moving every
>time you render the scene.

Well, it would if they were minor background objects and I was trying to
generate random terrain each time, or something like that. If I wanted to
generate a random tree, and then generate another random tree in a
different scene, I wouldn't want them too look the same, and I'd rather not
have remember all the past seeds I've used on past trees. Well, its a minor
point, anyways.