POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Utter newbie on a budget. Any tips? : Re: Utter newbie on a budget. Any tips? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Utter newbie on a budget. Any tips?
From: Tony LaVigne
Date: 9 Sep 2002 11:10:05
Message: <web.3d7cb8c2591f43dd97cd3e00@news.povray.org>
The Damned Yankee wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>I'm interested in working with 3d graphics, and I figure getting POVRay
>is a step in the right direction, but what else do I need?  Any
>recommendations?
>
>A couple of caveats:  I'm just looking to get my feet wet here, and,
>being a working Joe with no budget to spend on software, I'd especially
>like to hear about any relevant freeware.
>
>Thank you for your time.

To get something that's not limited (the amount of time you can use it, if
you can save or how many you can save etc) in quality CAD will be difficult
to get for free.

The best values are student verions where most are under $500  (I think
www.Rhino3d.com is $199)

The best place to go is the cad user groups
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.cad
and search thier archives for the free stuff

Posting the same question in the more active groups of
comp.cad.autocad
comp.cad.pro-engineer
compt.cad.solidworks
may prove productive.