POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Experiment #129845839-AG23K : Re: Experiment #129845839-AG23K Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Experiment #129845839-AG23K
From: Dan Byers
Date: 6 Sep 2002 21:05:05
Message: <web.3d794fa5c2a76d537c10c2df0@news.povray.org>
You would be assuming incorrectly ;)

Started off with a piece of  graph paper and a pencil, just drew the shapes
of the pear and orange and their shadows, then using Chris Colefax's spline
macros created some splines that corresponded with the shades.  I used a
macro I wrote to calculate whether a set of randomly generated x,y coords
are contained within a specific closed spline so I could "color" the shape.

It actually works pretty well.  Once you have your basic shapes splined into
the system, you can put pretty much any object or texture or whatever you
want into it.  The sucky part is the macro I wrote is sooooooooo
sloooooooow, so I have to write the results to disk to avoid 300 year parse
times....

I've never tried it with an animation yet - it's feasible, just tricky
working out the movement of the spline (but that's not a situation unique
to me - I think something was mentioned in povray.general about the same
thing recently) ...

thanks for the comments!  :)

dan
http://hometown.aol.com/goofygrafx