POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Dolphins Swimming : Re: Dolphins Swimming Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dolphins Swimming
From: Tony LaVigne
Date: 28 Aug 2002 14:05:05
Message: <web.3d6d0fd71964669688d4e3910@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>Amazing.
>What's the modeller and means of 'bending' so gracefully?

I took the  fish/plant models from

  The conversion process entailed
    -toucan model (I think vrml format)from
http://www.toucan.co.jp/product/3ds/3dsFrameSetE.html
(Gilles Tran posting "Free Fish and plant Models" Aug 2)
 converted to Lightwave3d obj format using www.righthemisphere.com
    -I wrote a translator in MATLAB that converts the *.obj file to a povray
macro that adds a sine wave to the y or z axis(fish or mammal) as a funcion
of x axis of the triangle vertexes.   The sine wave is controlable in
frequency, phase shift, and amplitude of sine.  The amplitude can be
constant or sloped, in this animation the amp at the tail was 4 times that
of the head.
Fortunately I didn't have to adjust the normals.

I think I'll post the include files of the fish and mammals macros I've
generated at my povray web site that I'm constructing
http://www.xenomechanics.com/povray.html

VideoMach is probably the only mpeg software that I have not tried yet.
I have been using TMPEnc but up until ABX and Andrew postings I didn't know
how to fully use it.  Thanks to them I've been able to play the whole
thing...
http://www.xenomechanics.com/POVRAY/whaleSwim.mpg

Thanks for the help
Tony