POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: mechanics simulation (908k) : Re: mechanics simulation (908k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mechanics simulation (908k)
From: Gergely Vandor
Date: 26 Aug 2002 16:20:05
Message: <web.3d6a8c2993463628b78e044d0@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

>You seem to use quite strong overall damping (and not just damping
>parallel to the springs) which usually weakens the problems with large
>time steps.  Try turning off the damping and you will probably see how
>everything explodes.

Maybe I'll check if I find the pov file.

>I also suppose you are using collision equations for the the interaction
>with the environment which is insensitive towards large time steps.

I really don't know what you mean by this, so I can't tell. :(

>> BTW, I'm glad you are making this patch, I'm just sorry it's not ME who is
>> doing it. :) I would be probably doing something similat if I wasn't so
>> lazy to learn C some more. :) Oh, did I mention the anim is amazing? Will
>> the source be available?
>
>Yes, once i have time to get it in a publishable state with documentation
>and sample scenes.

Great! Any plans for fluids? Some time ago I made a basic anim with van der
Waals forces and 50 "atoms". I believe that a similar system is used in
fluid dynamics programs like RealFlow (with much more particles and
probably many tweaks). It was pretty easy to modify my spring scenes to
this:

http://www.progressive.hu/gero/small.mpg

(Sorry if you've alredy seen it, and it's 1.5 MB.)

Gergely