POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: mechanics simulation (908k) : Re: mechanics simulation (908k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mechanics simulation (908k)
From: Gergely Vandor
Date: 26 Aug 2002 11:00:08
Message: <web.3d6a41fd93463628b78e044d0@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

>Well, rigid body dynamics is not what this is all about.  While it is
>perfectly possible to make things more stiff with appropriate integration
>methods and small stepsizes it is not possible to make things completely
>hard since the used methods depend on the deformations to calculate the
>forces.
>
>The main reasons why the bar is that soft are that i did not yet implement
>higher order integration methods and less stiff systems are better for
>testing things because these are less likely to cause problems with the
>numerics.
>
>Christoph

I'm not sure. Check this one:
http://www.progressive.hu/gero/drum.m1v

This is one of the first animations I made using springs. Maybe it's
accidental, or maybe it's because it is very simple, but it looks quite OK
to me, and it is almost totally rigid. I used euler too, and maybe 20
steps/frame.

BTW, I'm glad you are making this patch, I'm just sorry it's not ME who is
doing it. :) I would be probably doing something similat if I wasn't so
lazy to learn C some more. :) Oh, did I mention the anim is amazing? Will
the source be available?

Gergely