POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : creating a partially elevated surface : Re: creating a partially elevated surface Server Time
15 Aug 2024 00:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: creating a partially elevated surface
From: Tony LaVigne
Date: 18 Aug 2002 20:45:12
Message: <web.3d603e923cc842f988d4e3910@news.povray.org>
INVALID_ADDRESS wrote:
>Hi, I posted this in the povray.newusers section already, but it was said
>that it was hard to visualize what I meant and that perhaps I should post my
>question here with a little picture... so here it goes:
>
>can I create a surface that is elevated in the center but has edges that are
>in one plane? is this possible with CSG or are there other ways?
>
>thnx a lot in advance,
>
>Daan

Daan,
Below is a link to some code I wrote.
http://www.xenomechanics.com/POVRAY/boat_bulge2.html

  The idea was to make your boat with triangles.  All vertices would either
be on the boundry that are your 2 circles or on  the plane symetry( on the
keel).

  The smooth_triangle call uses normals for the vertices.  The vertices on
the symetrical plane would be straight up middleNormal = <0,1,0>;
 and the vertices along the boundry would be tilted outward,
boundryNormal=<0,cos(90),sin(90)>
but the normals on the model are not being set to these above boundry
conditions and I'm not sure what's wrong.

The profile (looking from the top) seems to be correct and there is
continuity of the whole model.  But it's not quite there yet.

I appoligize if I haven't posted all this correctly as I'm still new to
Povray.
Let me know what you think
Tony