POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Group animation project proposal : Re: Group animation project proposal Server Time
25 Jul 2024 09:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Group animation project proposal
From: Rohan Bernett
Date: 11 Aug 2002 22:00:07
Message: <web.3d5715af9fdfa9aad02c7b870@news.povray.org>
Philippe Lhoste wrote:

>I have an idea: why not make a POV-Ray screen saver, like the Seti[at]Home
>one, or those use to break a cryptographic challenge or to decode genome?

BRILLIANT!!! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

>While the scene would be of reasonable size (unless using huge meshes),
>the rendered images would be big, which make a less practical idea than
>Seti, where exchanged data is rather small...
>Perhaps it will more usable when most people will have broadband
>connexions to Internet.

You're right there, it would only be practical for broadband users. All that
uploading huge files would take weeks over a snail pace dialup connection.
:-(

However, this could be handy for when you want to render a really slow scene
or an animation, and you don't want to have your computer tied up for hours
(or even days) at a time. Maybe you could have a way to link the saver to a
file on your hard drive, and it would store a temp file containing the
pixel it was up to and which calculation it was on (oh yeah, and the frame
if doing an animation).

Hey POV-Team, why don't you make something like this to go with POV-Ray 4.0?

Rohan _e_ii