POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First Post: Crystal Ball : Re: First Post: Crystal Ball Server Time
15 Aug 2024 04:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First Post: Crystal Ball
From: Ben Scheele
Date: 8 Aug 2002 12:10:08
Message: <web.3d5296d2f78db75d87a66ea70@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the replies all.

Rohan:
   I should have said that I didn't expect it to take nearly that long. Once
it got to the actual crystal ball, it slowed down a lot. Good thing that I
forgot about it then, cause I too am not quite that patient.
You mentioned
   > [you] made a crystal ball scene with POV-Ray 3.1 which used media
inside it...
   You should try rerendering that scene with version 3.5 and its new
features. It's fun! As long as you don't need to be anywhere near your
computer for a while. hehe.

Tim:
   Most of the images I have made explore various mathematical patterns or
concepts, or are just kind of abstract and explore various features.  I
think that you need to understand the properties of materials and special
effects before you can make a realistic scene.  I guess the image does look
too clean.  Some surface normals would have helped, maybe roughening the
edges of the rods with a hf difference.  I agree, that it is probably
necessary to wait a long time for an image to render if it is going to be
able to compete in the IRTC.  That image of yours for the "worlds within
worlds" topic is great.  I do plan on competing in the IRTC some time.  I
wanted to enter in the "Sea" topic, because I had a great idea for it, but
I was a bit too green at the time to be able to pull it off.

Steve:
   Thanks.  I appreciate your praise.

-Ben Scheele