POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Extreme Newbie, pixelization problem : Re: Extreme Newbie, pixelization problem Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:12:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extreme Newbie, pixelization problem
From: Mark21
Date: 30 Jul 2002 12:37:02
Message: <web.3d46bffa7fe0707bfbc69cc70@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

Mark again. Okay, I see you guys have replied to my original post, and
thanks. I have been wrecking my brain trying to find more info in the
tutorials/manuals out there, and I find that they all assume a little
understanding of raytracing. I have found out how to set the anti aliasing
in povray, and I assume that a threshold of 0.0 is the best one can get. I
rendered a couple scenes at this setting and it improved a lot, but I still
have problems with aliasing. I have also noticed that if I dolly the camera
away from the model it cleans up. I gather that the closer the zoom on the
object, the more it will alias. The scene I would like to render has
several close up views of objects (cone/torus merged, kind of like a dunce
cap with a moulding around the opening for the head) I also noticed that
when I have the threshold set to 0.0 the pixels that were aliased terribly
at no AA were now kind of "off the edge" or seperated from the model. It
looks as if particles of the model are coming off the edge slightly( I
don't think I am explaining this well) Sort of like the model was shedding
dust from itself. My question now is this: Is there a way to make a model
have sharp edges at a very close view, and if so how? If you need more
information from me to help, I will be watching this forum a few times a
day.

Thanks,

Mark