POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What happened : Re: What happened Server Time
3 Oct 2024 11:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What happened
From: Glen Berry
Date: 19 Feb 2000 00:07:14
Message: <wSGuOAjPyuvt5OnnIjbGia69HWiL@4ax.com>
On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 01:05:45 +0200, Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet>
wrote:

>Tony, do you realise that this would make offline readers re-download
>350+ megabytes of attachments?

Don't most off-line readers have a provision for downloading only the
message headers? One could download all the headers, and then only
download the messages bodies and attachments that they really needed.

You seem to assume that someone actually wants a complete archive of
POV-News on their local hard drive. I've found that I can live without
many of the old posts. Remember, some of those posts are only relavent
to someone running an outdated version of POV, for example. Some
others are snapshots of "works-in-progress." I don't really need to
keep 5 generations of the same basic image. My free disk space is more
important to me.

For those of use who have been regulars here for awhile, we should
already have the old attachments downloaded anyway - at least the
attachments that we decided we decided to keep. If Chris created the
archives sorted by year, I would only be downloading the headers for
my possible future reference. Who knows, maybe one day I might even
download an old message body or attachment.

later,
Glen Berry