POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [doc] language basics in quick ref : Re: [doc] language basics in quick ref Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [doc] language basics in quick ref
Date: 13 Mar 2002 05:08:25
Message: <vf8u8uon70doq2f87t8d259nv1ppmi9ng7@4ax.com>
On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:15:21 -0600, "Robert Chaffe"
<rob### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> I believe someone with the moniker "ingo" is in charge of modifying the
> distributed documentation.  ;-)

I believe this to :-)

> > 10.1.3.1  Floats
> >
> >   says that NUMERIC_EXPRESSION can be VECTOR.DOT_ITEM
> >   where DOT_ITEM is x|y|z|t|u|v|red|green|blue|filter|transmit|gray|hf
> >   while #warning str(<1,2,3,4,5>.hf,0,-1) works for all dot items except hf
> >   (I suppose .hf is valid only inside user defined functions)
>
> I have added one of my peach colored notes below the DOT_ITEM syntax:
>    The  hf  item may be used only in a user-defined function.

This is not end of the problem. AFAIK .x .y .z and rest of operators cannot be
used on typical vector expression inside user defined function. So my
proposition is something like this:

in Float Expressions:

NUMERIC_EXPRESSION: (....) | VECTOR.DOT_ITEM | (....)

DOT_ITEM: x|y|z|t|u|v|red|green|blue|filter|transmit|gray (hf excluded)

in User-Defined Functions:

EXPRESSION: (....) | VECTOR_FUNCTION_INVOCATION.FN_DOT_ITEM |
COLOR_FUNCTION_INVOCATION.FN_DOT_ITEM | (...)

FN_DOT_ITEM: DOT_ITEM | hf

To the team - is this corect ?

> > 10.1.3.4  User defined Functions
> >
> >   min(FLOAT, FLOAT), max( FLOAT, FLOAT )
> >   should be probably something like
> >   min(FLOAT, FLOAT ...), max( FLOAT, FLOAT ...)
>
> Note that I use FN_FLOAT to distinguish it from the other FLOAT that is not
> quite the same as the one for user-defined functions.

Yes, I noticed this, just typing mistake :-)

> > 10.1.3.4  User defined Functions
> Didn't know we could use it.  See modifications below.
> Well, I didn't know that either.  I have changed the FLOAT_USER_FUNCTION
> syntax, the pattern part, to the following:
>    function { pattern { PATTERN [PATTERN_MODIFIERS] } }

That is probably becouse conventional syntax frame is rather ascetic in this
matter.

>Thanks for finding these.  Let me know if anything else needs to be
> corrected.

I plan to validate one subchapter of your quick ref per day. For example
"language directives" issues will be send after moment.

ABX