POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Alien cucumber (131k) : Re: Alien cucumber (131k) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien cucumber (131k)
From: Mike Williams
Date: 30 May 2000 02:12:42
Message: <vXKwYDAfj1M5EwIN@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Dave Blandston who wrote:
>This wasn't supposed to look like a cucumber, it was supposed to look like
>some kind of alien egg (like in the movie, only different).
>
>There's some "jittering" going on around the jagged rim of the broken egg -
>it's most obvious at the 4:00 position. Hmmmm...

I thought that the slightly bigger problem was the way that the green
squiggle in the texture made it obvious that the pigment was fixed in
space and that the alien embryo moved through it. This is obviously
unrealistic - in real objects the texture moves with the object.

I guess that the baby alien is done with blobs, so uv mapping wouldn't
be an option. It might look better without the sharp transition in the
colour_map, since the grey/brown parts of the pigment, with smooth
colour_map transitions, don't look obviously fixed in space.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure