POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Patch Request - render without save : Re: Patch Request - render without save Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patch Request - render without save
From: Glen Berry
Date: 7 May 2000 00:22:16
Message: <vOsUOUNNRcQSoo3ULFNurEPEGh+d@4ax.com>
On Sat, 06 May 2000 13:10:25 -0700, "SamuelT." <STB### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

>I didn't mean saving the image file; I already know about -f. What I'm
>talking about is how povray makes you save the text file before rendering the
>image.

I thought of this about 30 minutes after I responded to you. It would
have helped if you had said POV-Ray for Windows, and it would have
also helped if you had been specific about which file you wanted to
avoid saving.

As for your issue, POV-Ray for Windows lost the ability to render a
scene without saving a *scene* file, partly because this change helped
avoid program crashes. I'm not too familiar with the programming
details, but I remember Ron Parker and Chris Cason discussing this
very same issue. If I remember correctly, it would be a *lot* of
effort to keep the old functionality, avoid crashes, and keep the same
editor. It would also be a lot of effort to switch editors.

If you need to know real details, perhaps someone else can fill you in
much better than I can.

Later,
Glen Berry

( Remove the "7" from 7no### [at] ezwvcom to email me. )