POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Trip-let (8k) : Re: Trip-let (8k) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trip-let (8k)
From: Alan Kong
Date: 16 Aug 2000 21:16:09
Message: <uvdmpskv113ei6quptvt16m2lu7u157tqh@4ax.com>
On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 02:22:19 -0700 ryan constantine
<rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>i was under the impression that the server had been donated.  maybe not
>huh?  so how many IRTC cdroms are sold?  and what are the operating
>costs it pays for?  i thought all of pov was simply enthusiast
>contribution of time and so forth.

  Hi, Ryan (and everyone else). Please see message "IRTC CDROM's and
supporting this site [14-June-1999]" in the announcement group.

  The POV-Team has decided that sales of the IRTC CD-ROMs is the best
overall solution, as well as the simplest. It provides a nice archive
for those who appreciate the IRTC and POV-Ray, as well as generating
some form of income to help offset the costs of maintaining this server.

  In general, we feel that people are more likely to make a one-time
purchase of these annually-released, low-priced CD-ROMs than to commit
to something long term like becoming a CompuServe member, which would
have supported these operations several years ago. We'd also like to
avoid, for lack of a better term, the 'beg-athon' when we need to
upgrade some hardware on the server machine. Because small contributions
may be mailed from just about anywhere in the world, a fee will likely
have to be paid to a bank to convert to local currency. Way too much
trouble and takes too long when a failing drive needs to be replaced
like *right now*.

  Please order your IRTC CD-ROMs, folks. This how you can help support
this server in the long term. I've purchased all three available IRTC
CD-ROMs <hint, hint>. Thank you for your support :)

http://www.aussie.org/products/

(follow-ups to povray.general, please)