POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : copies, referrences, and texture space pie : Re: copies, referrences, and texture space pie Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: copies, referrences, and texture space pie
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 10 Jul 2000 03:24:00
Message: <u6uimscum6g9a8s1mi6kjv7nj2gpaq246v@4ax.com>
Hi ryan constantine, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> i'm wondering how to go about making several of the same object, but
> with each having its own version of the original texture.  all i've
> tried so far is to make a copy of the first object, and then translate
> the texture wireframe of the highest objects that had textures.
You can assign a texture to a reference object. Since the reference
object points to a real object, it is not possible to change the
textures of subobjects in the "copy", since they are not copied.

> i'm wondering if having the object frozen had anything to do
> with it even though the texture space wasn't frozen.
Nope. Even if the object itself is frozen, you can still move the
texture.

> also, does a referrenced object have its own texture space?
Yes. The texture that you assign to a reference object will behave as
expected (i.e. just as with any other object). But changing the
texture space for the reference object does not change the way that
the subobjects of the object being referenced are rendered.

Think of the object being referenced as a black box, you can't change
anything inside it, you can only move it and give it another texture.

So, I'm not quite sure what difficulties you're having. If you could
put together a sample that demonstrates it, maybe I can help.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray