POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange shadow bug : Re: Strange shadow bug Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:32:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange shadow bug
From: Mike Williams
Date: 5 Apr 2003 12:38:45
Message: <u3q3zAAYSxj+EwPy@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it J?rg 'Yadgar' Bleimann who wrote:
>High!
>
>Back at my co-processor project... meanwhile, I got all parts together,
>but when placing the complete processor on a
>horizontal plane for the first time, I discovered a strange bug: though
>all pins are placed at the correct vertical position (i. e.
>touching the plane), their shadows don't originate at their bases!
>
>When I instead render only one single pin, this strange artifact
>disappears, as you can see in the second image! I modelled the
>processor from the real thing, using a slide caliper, so 1 unit = 1
>meter - these pins are only 3.7 millimeters high and a mere
>0.15 millimeters thick. Could it be that their tiny size is responsible
>for the bug?
>
>See you in Khyberspace!

This came up in Beta testing, and it was determined that it's not a bug

http://news.povray.org/3c53b38e@news.povray.org

I believe that the workround is that if you're working with objects that
have dimensions of fractions of millimetres, then choose a smaller size
for the POV unit. (Or use a computer with a higher floating point
accuracy).

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure