POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [Mac] Crater.pov : [Mac] Crater.pov Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  [Mac] Crater.pov
From: Tom Stone
Date: 2 Nov 2001 15:12:02
Message: <tom.stone-0211012136500001@d212-151-238-110.swipnet.se>
Hello,

In the folder scenes/objects are three pov files named:
crat_dat.pov
crater_dat.pov
crater.pov

In "crater.pov" there are instructions to render the "crat_dat.pov" file
with png-output, yet further down, the heightfield expects a file named
"crater_dat".

However, the "crat_dat.pov" says that it should be rendered with
tga-output, while "crater_dat.pov" has no instructions at all regarding
the output format.

Anyway, I rendered the "crater_dat.pov" as a png-file and then I tried to
render the "crater.pov" and my Mac crashed.

Looking closer at "crater.pov" I noticed that there wasn't any
HF_TYPE/bitmap identifier in the heightfield object, which looked very
strange.
It seemed like an odd thing to forget, so I checked the docs and found out
that it is allowed to skip the HF_TYPE if the output fileformat is set to
the same fileformat as the scenefile expects. Which seems very backwards
to me.

Anyway, by adding the HF_TYPE "png" before "crater_dat" in the heightfield
in "crater.pov", I could render the file without any crash. I guess that
the other option was to change the output to png instead (which I didn't
try since I seldom have any use for png-files outside POV-ray).

So, in short, this is my report:
- Pov-ray crashes when a heightfield without HF_TYPE expects another
fileformat than what the output is set to.
- The file "crater.pov" should either have a HF_TYPE in its heightfield,
or a notice in the comments that the output format should be set to png.
- There's only need for one "..._dat.pov" file, so one should be deleted,
and only the remaining one should be refered to in the "crater.pov" file.

Povray Beta 7
PowerMacintosh G3
System 9.0.4 (swedish)

--