POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Cubic Mandelbrot [23 kb] : Re: The Cubic Mandelbrot [23 kb] - Sumobrot.png Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Cubic Mandelbrot [23 kb] - Sumobrot.png
From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 29 Jun 2005 18:41:45
Message: <to86c1t4alun9i77rdu21e8t2jkm3lghv7@4ax.com>
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:01:35 EDT, "Dave Matthews"
<dma### [at] wrmnwestmnscuedu> wrote:

>Wow.  Miss a few days, miss a lot.  I'm searching but not finding examples
>of "Mike's modification" or "df3s" and I really want to figure this out!

Mikes Modification (sounds important like Tim's error in fractint) was
to use Andrews's formula and use it as a pigment.

>So, please help.  Source perhaps?  Or of your less out-of-focus version
>below?  I haven't puzzled out df3's yet.  Maybe this example would soak in.

Of course! It is a three step process.
I added a variable to the formula and created an animation. Then using
tga2df3 I created a df3. The less out of focus image had more tga
images. 120 in the one you asked about. Mikes Modification uses a
three colour, colour map. So I modified that and produced three
monochrome df3's, Red, Yellow and Blue. This took 4 and a half hours
on my Laptop the df3's are 84 Megs.
The POV file to generate the image was made in Moray so the coordinate
system is not the same as in POV and there are INC and INI files. I
have found that there are 4 interesting positions for the camera and
they are symmetrical about the origin.
BTW using a sphere instead of a box produces in interesting image but
I've not found anything worth posting.

I'll post the source in Povray.biniaries.misc as a zip file shortly.

>(Really cool by the way, yours and Andrew's and as always, Mike's)

Thank you, I'm flattered.

Regards
        Stephen