POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values : Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values
From: Felix Wiemann
Date: 21 Apr 2002 12:41:05
Message: <t9qu9a.1rd.ln@wiemann.my-fqdn.de>
Fabien Mosen wrote:
> Maybe it's time to fix an inconsistency between primitives.
> Here's how RC1 acts with zero-dimension volumes :
>
> box {<10,10,10>,<10,10,10>}
>   Rendering goes without a warning.

OK, I think.

> cylinder {<10,10,10>,<10,10,10>,1}
>   Parsing stops with an error.

The disc-cylinder can't be calculated, because the normal isn't known.

> cone {<10,10,10>,1,<10,10,10>,2}
>   Parsing stops with an error.

Same.

> triangle {<10,10,10>,<10,10,10>,<10,10,10>}
>   Rendering goes, but a warning is issued.

Doesn't behave like box does.

> plane {0,0}
>    Parsing stops with an error.

Again the normal is unknown.

> torus {0 0}
>   Rendering goes without a warning.

Same as box.

> sphere {0,0}
>    Rendering goes without a warning.

Same as box.

> Of course, these are very specific cases, but they can easily
> happen in scenes with automatic object generation.  IMO, the
> best thing that POV-Ray should do is render anyway, with a
> warning, as it currently does with 'degenerate' triangles.

The only inconsistency I see is the warning at the triangle. All
objects which generate an error can't be calculated due to the missing
normal.

Felix Wiemann