POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Subject Line suggestion : Re: Subject Line suggestion Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subject Line suggestion
From: Peter Popov
Date: 5 Aug 2000 17:52:39
Message: <t82pososfd7pnm0o7ss1knj6ak952jj7hq@4ax.com>
On Sat, 5 Aug 2000 13:30:58 -0700, "Dave Blandston"
<gra### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>Just an idea - if you're posting an animation that requires some special
>codec, like Divx, it would save those of us who don't want to go hunt down
>and install additional codecs the time of downloading unusable animations if
>everyone posting those things would mention it in the subject line.

What's so special about DivX besides being a really great codec? Or
tdo you consider "special" a codec which is not supported by MicroSoft
and hence unavailable by the automatic codec download feature of Media
Player? MP is known to have problems even with some 100% standard-
compliant MPEG animations but that is irrelevant to your question,
sorry.

>It
>doesn't help to list the additional requirement in the body of the post,
>because that part doesn't become visible until after the animation file
>itself is finished downloading. I'm sure there are many fine codecs
>available out there, but I don't want to install any more stuff than
>necessary on my computer because of the increased chances of crashes,
>clashes, etc.  ;-)

A modern operation system should not be afraid of a codec. Even less
so if it aims to bring multimedia technology to your home computer.
I've never had a codec crash on me (under Windows). Granted, I've had
a *player* crash but that was the player's fault because the anim in
question opened well in other apps using the same codec.

Putting aside my slight disagreements with the above points, I agree
with your main suggestion to indicate the coded and version in the
subject line, and a link to a download site in the body should also be
of help.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet