POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dispersion photons... No good... : Re: Dispersion photons... No good... Server Time
15 Aug 2024 22:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dispersion photons... No good...
From: Peter Popov
Date: 21 Apr 2002 05:35:44
Message: <t715cuopmdt4sofh9av7h48puk4fn63c5d@4ax.com>
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:38:52 +0200, Tim Nikias <tim### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

>I'll be experimenting with three lightsources
>(one for red, green and blue) and look if I
>can get satisfying results that way.

Three won't be enough, I fear.

>Any comments, suggestions?

When Darren came out with the dispersion patch, it didn't do caustics
(and photons weren't around yet IIRC), so I tried to fake it with
light sources. The idea is to use quite a few light sources in line
colored like the spectrum and use caustics (or now photons). Not too
realistic but looks good at least.

The attached image is an example. The dispersion inside the orb comes
from Darren's patch, the dispersion in the faked caustics was made
with that trick.

It used to be a nice trick before dispersion + photons came out. I
don't know why they didn't work in your case, too low dispersion
maybe?

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg