POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My second TRON subject... : Re: My second TRON subject... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:31:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My second TRON subject...
From: Richard Callwood III
Date: 26 Jan 2004 19:04:53
Message: <st6b1054b5sqad2v1kv1at7r0job0d4c0l@4ax.com>
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:57:43 -0800, "Carl Hoff" <hof### [at] wtnet> wrote:

>Well here is what I used...
>
>[800x600, AA 0]
>Width=800
>Height=600
>Antialias=On
>Sampling_Method=2
>Antialias_Depth=2
>Antialias_Threshold=0.0
>
>And it took about a week to render on my 1.5 GHz P4.  I agree it looks like
>it needs more AA but I didn't want to wait forever either.

How fast does it render with Antialias=Off?

Just an educated guess, but i think the Antialias_Threshold value 0.0
is what's slowing down the render.  POV-Ray skips the antialiasing
step for a pixel if it determines that the pixel doesn't need
antialiasing.  Setting the threshold to zero cripples this
optimization.  I'm sure the default value of 0.3 will be more than
adequate for this image.  This will allow you to set a higher
Antialias_Depth without wasting time on pixels that don't need
antialiasing--which, in your image, is the vast majority.

>Well I did download a program called ImageForge so I could save the
>1,440,054 byte BMP image as a 337,634 byte PNG image.

You can do that directly from POV-Ray by putting +fn in the toolbar
command line, or putting Output_File_Type=N in the .INI file.

>  I was trying to avoid
>the artifacts created by going to JPEG.

The documentation has a FAQ on this.  With the CJPEG program, i find
that using the options -op -sample 1x1,1x1,1x1 -q 85 usually gives
good results.  The file ends up almost twice as big as with the
default settings, but is still considerably smaller than the PNG
version.

--
~  U.S. Virgin Islands    ~  USDA zone 11  ~  18.3N, 64.9W  ~