POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Linux/Unix Survey : Re: OT - update to prob was: Linux/Unix Survey Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OT - update to prob was: Linux/Unix Survey
From: Steve
Date: 25 Apr 2003 06:45:30
Message: <slrnbai4cv.cp7.steve@zeropps.org.uk>
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:44:05 -0700, Bob R wrote:
> Anyone know where I should look for the problem? A setting in Pyvon?
> (I'm new to Linux, so please don't just say, "check *all* your *.conf
> files". I feel 'lost' enough now!!)
> Thanks.
> I won't post this (OT) prob' in this thread again, I'll start a new
> thread for any more questions [which I should have done to begin
> with!!<G>]. I'm following a couple other older threads(in this NG)
> about similar problems.

I had a similar problem at one time, the cause was having old library
path lines in my .povrayrc file, I still had lines for 3.1g and this
caused terible probles just like the ones you're describing, so I suggest
that you take comment out your 3.1g lines and put new ones in to reflect
the upgrade to 3.5, here's what I have in my .povrayrc in the library path
section:

;; Library_Path=/usr/local/lib/povray31                 ;; (+Ldir)
;; Library_Path=/usr/local/lib/povray31/include
Library_Path=/usr/local/lib/povray-3.5/include
Library_Path=/home/sjlen/pov
;;Library_Path=/home/sjlen/povincludes

As you can see you use a double semicolon to comment a line out.  So the
only lines that POV is reading from the ablove are:

Library_Path=/usr/local/lib/povray-3.5/include
Library_Path=/home/sjlen/pov

And I think that if you're reading the .pov file from a read only device
then you need to specify the output directory and file name on the command
line (and I think you can do this in the .povrayrc file aswell), such as

$povray -i/dev/cdrom/pov/money.pov -o./money.ppm

See 5.2.2.3.2 in the povdocs it says you can use Output_File_Name= in your
.povrayrc file so something like:

Output_File_Name= /home/sjlen/pov/newrender.ppm

Hope some of that helps.

--
%HAV-A-NICEDAY                    email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet
Steve                                web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/